April 29, 2020

A mindfulness exercise: Sri Aurobindo - "The Self's Infinity" (1939)

Sri Aurobindo marked a special moment of my mindfulness quest in the early-to-mid 1980's. Remembering his poetry style offers me a practical insight, over the years, into my own self.  Hopefully I will remember more.

Here's his sonnet "The Self's Infinity" (1939).

The Self’s Infinity

I have become what before Time I was.
A secret touch has quieted thought and sense:
All things by the agent Mind created pass
Into a void and mute magnificence.

My life is a silence grasped by timeless hands;
The world is drowned in an immortal gaze.
Naked my spirit from its vestures stands;
I am alone with my own self for space.

My heart is a centre of infinity,
My body a dot in the soul’s vast expanse.
All being’s huge abyss wakes under me,
Once screened in a gigantic Ignorance.

A momentless immensity pure and bare,
I stretch to an eternal everywhere.