May 19, 2020

Soros matters

The Open Society Foundation mattered for me in a very important moment, and for that I will be forever grateful. It still matters and continues to be a symbol for those hoping to see the society free from the shackles of primitive tribalism and fundamentalism.

When I left Romania for Penn State in 1992,  the generosity of the Romanian section (led by Sandra Pralong) of George Soros' Open Society Foundation helped me to cover my one-way plane ticket to New York City, upon showing them the acceptance letter from Penn State.

From there, Penn State colleagues who came to JFK for me gave me a ride to State College, PA (a very long and noisy 5 hours ride). That is another act of human kindness for which I will never forget.

Just thinking about the multitude of people doing kind things makes you a better human being.